- PricewaterhouseCoopers: Associate, executive, manager and group leader in core Assurance, Audit Technical and Risk Assurance
- Kaplan Financial: Tutor
- Manchester Business School: Teaching Fellow in Accounting
- Educator on Leeds University Business School/ICAEW MOOC 'The Importance of Money in Business'. The course won a PQ award for Innovation in Accountancy
- Member of Student Lifecycle Programme Academic Advisory Group
- A&F Education Group co-leader
- Learning Spaces Special Interest Group committee member
- Professional Recognition in Student Education mentor and reviewer
- External examiner
- Toms, S. and Shepherd, A. (forthcoming, 2019) Entrepreneurship, Strategy and Business Philanthropy: Cotton Textiles in the British Industrial Revolution, Business History Review.
- Toms, S. and Shepherd, A. (2017) Accounting and social conflict: Profit and regulated working time in the British Industrial Revolution, Critical Perspectives on Accounting, 49, pp.57-75
- Shepherd, A. and Underwood, S. (2016) ‘The scale of the challenge: staff vs student perspectives of iPads in Higher Education’, in iPads in Higher Education Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on the Use of iPads in Higher Education (ihe2016) ISBN(13): 978-1-4438-9973-4
Invited case study:
- Shepherd, A. (2018) ‘Collaborative Lecture Theatres’ case study for Casebook@Leeds https://casebook.leeds.ac.uk/collaborative-lecture-theatres/
- Shepherd, A. (2015) ‘iPads for all create a level playing field’ JISC Digital Student project exemplar case study [online] available from: http://digitalstudent.jiscinvolve.org/wp/exemplars/
Invited blog posts/news items:
- Shepherd, A. (2017) ‘Early findings from collaborative teaching spaces’, Leeds Institute for Teaching Excellence blog [online], available from: http://teachingexcellence.leeds.ac.uk/blog-early-learning-from-collaborative-teaching-spaces/
- Shepherd, A. (2017) ‘Cautious innovation in accounting and finance teaching’, ICAEW Academia and Education Community blog [online], available from: https://ion.icaew.com/academia/b/blog/posts/cautious-innovation-in-accounting-and-finance-teaching
- Shepherd, A. (2016) ‘Showcasing innovations in teaching’, LUBS news item [online] available from: business.leeds.ac.uk/about-us/article/showcasing-innovations-in-teaching/
- Shepherd, A. (2015) ‘Not fade away: problems with money in business have a lasting impact’, Futurelearn blog post [online] available from: https://about.futurelearn.com/blog/not-fade-away-problems-with-money-in-business-have-a-lasting-impact/
- Shepherd, A. and Sumner, M. (2019) Year in Industry: Barriers, challenges and motivations: Leeds Institute for Teaching Excellence Teaching Enhancement Project report, http://teachingexcellence.leeds.ac.uk/year-in-industry-barriers-challenges-and-motivations/
- Shaoul, J., Shepherd, A, Stafford, A. and Stapleton, P.(2013) Losing control of joint ventures: The case of Building Schools for the Future?, ICAS research report, icas.org.uk/stafford/.
Contributions to training courses:
ICAEW/CABA ‘Flourishing in Academia’ (facilitation team, speaker)
University of Leeds Organisational Development and Professional Learning ‘The Leeds curriculum – scholarship of teaching and learning’ (speaker)
- May 2019 Sussex University Business School 'Year in Industry: Barriers, challenges and motivations', invited session.
- October 2018, Durham University Business School ‘What the flip?! A flipped classroom approach in a collaborative space’ invited teaching and learning session.
- May 2018, Staff Educational Development Association (SEDA) Spring Teaching Learning and Assessment Conference ‘Year in Industry: Barriers, Challenges and Motivations’ (with Dr Mark Sumner).
- August 2017, ‘Entrepreneurship, business strategy and corporate philanthropy: The case of factory and business regulation’, European Business History Association 2017 Congress, Vienna, Austria (with Professor Steve Toms).
- August 2017, ‘A collaborative accounting, finance and business MOOC’, American Accounting Association Conference on Teaching and Learning in Accounting 2017 roundtable session, San Diego, USA (with Shaun Robertson, Director, Qualifications, ICAEW).
- July 2017, ‘A collaborative accounting, finance and business MOOC’, ESLTIS Conference 2017, Sheffield.
- May 2016, ‘Stick or twist? Needs, habits, preferences and experimentation in Accounting and Finance students’ use of technologies for study’, BAFA Accounting Education SIG Conference, Belfast.
- March 2016, ‘The scale of the challenge: staff vs student perspectives of iPads in higher education’, iPads in Higher Education conference, San Francisco, USA (with Sarah Underwood).
- January 2016, ‘Not just men in grey suits’ An accounting, finance and business MOOC’, ICAEW Higher Education Conference keynote, London.
- July 2015, ‘Straight road or long and winding? The university iPad journey’, Online Learning Consortium Blended Learning Conference, Denver, USA.
- May 2014, ‘Hype or help – Incoming students and technologies for study’ (with Jessica Johnson), BAFA Accounting Education SIG Conference, Bristol.
- January 2019, University of Leeds Student Education Conference ‘What the flip?! Teaching in collaborative spaces’ poster/video exhibit.
- June 2018, LUBS Academy of Innovation/Leeds Institute for Teaching Excellence Festival of Teaching Feedback event (with Antonio Martinez-Arboleda).
- May 2018, University of Leeds Pedagogic Research in the Arts lunch, ‘Year in Industry: Barriers, Challenges and Motivations’ (with Dr Mark Sumner).
- January 2018, University of Leeds Student Education Conference ‘To boldly go: journeys into the strange new world of the interactive lecture theatres’ (with Dr Fiona Douglas and Lisa Marshall) (workshop).
- January 2018, University of Leeds Student Education Conference ‘Year in Industry: Barriers, Challenges and Motivations’ (parallel session).
- September 2017, LUBS #Enhance17 ‘Flipped learning’ (workshop, with Dr Mike Reynolds, Tony Byng and Nicola Smith).
- June 2017, LUBS Teaching Retreat (led).
- April 2017 LUBS Academy of Innovation Building Best Practice Teaching Symposium ‘QR code handouts’, (parallel session).
- January 2017 University of Leeds Student Education Conference ‘Stick or twist? Needs, habits, preferences and experimentation in students’ uses of technologies for study’ (parallel session).
- January 2016 University of Leeds Student Education Conference ‘The scale of the challenge: staff vs student perspectives of iPads in higher education’ (with Sarah Underwood).
- January 2014 University of Leeds Student Education Conference ‘Hype or help – Incoming students and technologies for study’ (with Jessica Johnson).
I am engaged in scholarship of teaching and learning and present regularly at internal events and national and international conferences on student education topics such as digital learning, teaching innovation, collaborative teaching space use and academic reading.
I was a Teaching Enhancement Project Leader in the Leeds Institute for Teaching Excellence researching Year in Industry, and I continue to research in that area with Dr Mark Sumner from the School of Design at Leeds.
I also conduct accounting and business history research with Professor Steve Toms.
- MA Online and Distance Education - The Open University
- Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants
- Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- BSc in Biochemistry - The University of Manchester
- Apple Teacher and Microsoft Certified Educator
- Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales
- British Association of Accounting and Finance
- British Educational Research Association
I teach financial and management accounting, auditing and business strategy.