Dr Malek El Diri
- Position: Teaching Fellow
- Areas of expertise: Financial accounting; management accounting; auditing; earnings management; competition; blockchains; management compensation; managerial ability; corporate governance; bank failure.
- Email: M.ElDiri@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 6253
- Location: G.01 16 Clarendon Place
- Website: Springer Publications | Twitter | LinkedIn | Researchgate | ORCID | White Rose
I joined the Accounting and Finance division of Leeds University Business School as a PhD student before being hired as a teaching fellow in 2016. I am also a member of the International Banking Institute in the University of Leeds.
My research interests are related to earnings management and how it changes under the impact of different motives at the macroeconomic and firm levels. Among those factors I focus on market competition, blockchains, management compensation, managerial ability, corporate governance and bank failure.
Recent research outputs:
El Diri, M. 2017. Introduction to Earnings Management. Cham: Springer International Publishing AG.
Selected working papers:
‘Earnings Management, Managerial Ability and the Role of Competition’.
‘The Impact of Earnings Management and Managerial Ability on Management Compensation’, (with M. Alhadab).
‘Blockchains and Earnings Management’, (with C. Lambrinoudakis).
‘The Impact of Corporate Governance on Earnings Management in Concentrated Markets’, (with C. Lambrinoudakis and M. Alhadab).
‘Earnings Management and Bank Failure’, (with L. Spokeviciute).
‘Related party transactions and earnings management in the UK’, (with M. Alhadab).
- PhD (Accounting), The University of Leeds, UK.
- MSc (Hons), Accounting, Amman Arab University, Jordan.
- BSc (Hons), Accounting, Al-Ahliyya Amman University, Jordan.
I lead and participate in teaching modules in financial accounting, management accounting and auditing. I am also a member of the Access to Leeds Admissions and contribute to the personal tutoring in the Accounting and Finance Division.
Research groups and institutes
- International Banking Institute