I am a Research Fellow in Organisational Behaviour and Socio-Technical Systems, with a keen interest in virtual working, hybrid work, the future workplace and the use of technologies in new ways of working.
My doctoral research focused on the antecedents to technostress in remote workers and the impact this had on work-family conflict, performance and job satisfaction when boundaries between work and professional lives are increasingly blurred. I am keen to collaborate with organisations and researchers interested in exploring various aspects of remote/hybrid working; ubiquitous technology, blurred boundaries and employee well-being.
Prior to embarking on my academic journey, I gained significant experience in business development and consultancy at a multi-national financial services organisation.
I am interested in research related to remote and hybrid work, the impact of technology and blurred boundaries due to expectations of ‘constant connectivity’.
I was a researcher on the ESRC-funded Adapting Offices Project, where I led the Time 2 interview data collection and analysis, and contributed to reports.
- Transitioning back to the office. In this episode of the Leeds University Business School’s Research and Innovation Podcast, Afshan Iqbal (Leeds University Business School) and Lucy Gordon (Walker Morris) discuss working from home during the pandemic, and what employers need to think about when transitioning back to the office (July 2021)
- The future workplace. (Podcast) Afshan Iqbal and Dr Matthew Davis discuss what is meant by working from home and the key considerations around the changing workplace in this episode of Leeds University Business School’s Research and Innovation podcast (July 2020).
- Future world of work – one year on. Report from Leeds University Business School and Walker Morris (June 2021)
- The Future Workplace: Working from Home. Network – Alumni Magazine 2020. Issue 16.Leeds University Business School. (March 2021)
- Future world of work: Business (not as usual). Report from Leeds University Business School and Walker Morris (December 2020)
- Maximising value from your commercial property – A panel discussion as part of the Walker Morris “Future World of Work” series, exploring how changes to the way we work are opening up opportunities for commercial property development and explaining how planning consent for such development may be easier than you think (February 2021)
- BPS Test User: Occupational, Personality & Ability
- MA Social Research (Interdisciplinary) - Distinction
- MSc Management - Distinction
- BSc(Hons) Psychology - First Class
- Academy of Management
- European Association of Work & Organisational Psychology
I am an Associate Fellow of HEA and have experience of both face-to-face and online teaching. I have taught Leadership modules and Corporate Social Responsibility