- Master of Arts in Online and Distance Education (Open University, UK) - 2014
- Senior Fellow of The Higher Education Academy - 2016
- Chartered Accountant (FCA) - The Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales - qualified 2005
- BSc (Hons) in Biochemistry (University of Manchester, UK) - 2002
- PwC 2002-2007 and 2012: Associate, executive, manager and group leader in core Assurance, Audit Technical and Risk Assurance, Sheffield, London and Leeds
- Kaplan Financial: 2008-2009: Tutor, Leeds
- Manchester Business School: 2009-2011: Teaching Fellow in Accounting
- Joined Leeds University Business School: 2013
Research projects in progress:
- Accounting/business history research on the 19th century cotton textile industry (with Professor Steve Toms)
- Teaching Enhancement Project in the Leeds Institute of Teaching Excellence (LITE) on Year in Industry placements (with Dr Mark Sumner) http://teachingexcellence.leeds.ac.uk/projects/
"Dean’s Award for Teaching Excellence 2014"
- LUBS 1245 Introductory Management Accounting – module leader
- LUBS 1225 Accounting for Managers – module leader
- LUBS 2215 Business Skills for Accounting and Finance – lecturer
- LUBS 3630 Advanced Accounting Theory – module leader
- LUBS 3650 Critical Cases in Accounting and Finance – lecturer
- LUBS 5014 Financial Analysis - lecturer
- LUBS 5982 Financial Reporting & Analysis
- Educator on Leeds University Business School/ICAEW MOOC 'The Importance of Money in Business', which ran in 2015 and 2016. The won a PQ award for ‘Innovation in Accountancy’
- Co-director of University of Leeds Research Centre for Digital Learning http://www.education.leeds.ac.uk/research/teaching-and-learning/CDL
- A&F Digital Champion and member of LUBS Enhancement Group
- Student Education Project fund holder
- External examiner
- Toms, S. and Shepherd, A. (2017) Accounting and social conflict: Profit and regulated working time in the British Industrial Revolution, Critical Perspectives on Accounting, available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cpa.2017.03.002
Book chapter (peer-reviewed):
- Shepherd, A. and Underwood, S. (2016) ‘The scale of the challenge: staff vs student perspectives of iPads in Higher Education’, in iPads in Higher Education Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on the Use of iPads in Higher Education (ihe2016) ISBN(13): 978-1-4438-9973-4
Invited case study:
- Shepherd, A. (2015) ‘iPads for all create a level playing field’ JISC Digital Student project exemplar case study [online] available from: http://digitalstudent.jiscinvolve.org/wp/exemplars/
Invited blog posts/news items:
- Shepherd, A. (2016) ‘Showcasing innovations in teaching’, LUBS news item [online] available from: http://business.leeds.ac.uk/about-us/article/showcasing-innovations-in-teaching/
- Shepherd, A. (2015) ‘Not fade away: problems with money in business have a lasting impact’, Futurelearn blog post [online] available from: https://about.futurelearn.com/blog/not-fade-away-problems-with-money-in-business-have-a-lasting-impact/
Shaoul, J., Shepherd, A, Stafford, A. and Stapleton, P.(2013) Losing control of joint ventures: The case of Building Schools for the Future?, ICAS research report, icas.org.uk/stafford/.
- May 2016 ‘Stick or twist? Needs, habits, preferences and experimentation in Accounting and Finance students’ use of technologies for study’, BAFA Accounting Education SIG Conference, Belfast.
- March 2016 ‘The scale of the challenge: staff vs student perspectives of iPads in higher education’, iPads in Higher Education conference, San Francisco, USA (with Sarah Underwood).
- January 2016 ‘Not just men in grey suits’ An accounting, finance and business MOOC’, ICAEW Higher Education Conference, London.
- July 2015 ‘Straight road or long and winding? The university iPad journey’, Online Learning Consortium Blended Learning Conference, Denver, USA.
- May 2014 ‘Hype or help – Incoming students and technologies for study’ (with Jessica Johnson), BAFA Accounting Education SIG Conference, Bristol.
Internal, University of Leeds Student Education Conference
- January 2017 ‘Stick or twist? Needs, habits, preferences and experimentation in students’ uses of technologies for study’ (parallel session).
- January 2016 ‘The scale of the challenge: staff vs student perspectives of iPads in higher education’ (with Sarah Underwood).
- January 2014 ‘Hype or help – Incoming students and technologies for study’ (with Jessica Johnson).