- Master of Arts in Online and Distance Education (Open University, UK) - 2014
- Senior Fellow of The Higher Education Academy - 2016
- Chartered Accountant (FCA) - The Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales - qualified 2005
- BSc (Hons) in Biochemistry (University of Manchester, UK) - 2002
- PwC 2002-2007 and 2012: Associate, executive, manager and group leader in core Assurance, Audit Technical and Risk Assurance, Sheffield, London and Leeds
- Kaplan Financial: 2008-2009: Tutor, Leeds
- Manchester Business School: 2009-2011: Teaching Fellow in Accounting
- Joined Leeds University Business School: 2013
Research projects in progress:
- Accounting/business history research on the 19th century cotton textile industry (with Professor Steve Toms)
- Teaching Enhancement Project in the Leeds Institute of Teaching Excellence (LITE) on Year in Industry placements (with Dr Mark Sumner) http://teachingexcellence.leeds.ac.uk/projects/
"Dean’s Award for Teaching Excellence 2017"
- LUBS 1245 Introductory Management Accounting – module leader
- LUBS 1225 Accounting for Managers – module leader
- LUBS 2215 Business Skills for Accounting and Finance – lecturer
- LUBS 3630 Advanced Accounting Theory – module leader
- LUBS 3650 Critical Cases in Accounting and Finance – lecturer
- LUBS 5014 Financial Analysis - lecturer
- LUBS 5982 Financial Reporting & Analysis - lecturer
- Educator on Leeds University Business School/ICAEW MOOC 'The Importance of Money in Business', which ran in 2015 and 2016. The won a PQ award for ‘Innovation in Accountancy’
- Co-director of University of Leeds Research Centre for Digital Learning http://cdl.leeds.ac.uk/
- A&F Digital Champion and member of LUBS Enhancement Group
- Student Education Project fund holder
- External examiner
- Toms, S. and Shepherd, A. (2017) Accounting and social conflict: Profit and regulated working time in the British Industrial Revolution, Critical Perspectives on Accounting, 49, pp.57-75
Book chapter (peer-reviewed):
- Shepherd, A. and Underwood, S. (2016) ‘The scale of the challenge: staff vs student perspectives of iPads in Higher Education’, in iPads in Higher Education Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on the Use of iPads in Higher Education (ihe2016) ISBN(13): 978-1-4438-9973-4
Invited case study:
- Shepherd, A. (2015) ‘iPads for all create a level playing field’ JISC Digital Student project exemplar case study [online] available from: http://digitalstudent.jiscinvolve.org/wp/exemplars/
Invited blog posts/news items:
- Shepherd, A. (2017) ‘Early findings from collaborative teaching spaces’, Leeds Institute for Teaching Excellence blog [online], available from: http://teachingexcellence.leeds.ac.uk/blog-early-learning-from-collaborative-teaching-spaces/
- Shepherd, A. (2017) ‘Cautious innovation in accounting and finance teaching’, ICAEW Academia and Education Community blog [online], available from: https://ion.icaew.com/academia/b/blog/posts/cautious-innovation-in-accounting-and-finance-teaching
- Shepherd, A. (2016) ‘Showcasing innovations in teaching’, LUBS news item [online] available from: http://business.leeds.ac.uk/about-us/article/showcasing-innovations-in-teaching/
- Shepherd, A. (2015) ‘Not fade away: problems with money in business have a lasting impact’, Futurelearn blog post [online] available from: https://about.futurelearn.com/blog/not-fade-away-problems-with-money-in-business-have-a-lasting-impact/
Shaoul, J., Shepherd, A, Stafford, A. and Stapleton, P.(2013) Losing control of joint ventures: The case of Building Schools for the Future?, ICAS research report, icas.org.uk/stafford/.
- September 2017 ‘Year in Industry: Barriers, challenges and motivations’ (practitioner workshop), ASET 2017 Conference, University of Kent, Canterbury (with Dr Mark Sumner).
- August 2017 ‘Entrepreneurship, business strategy and corporate philanthropy: The case of factory and business regulation’, European Business History Association 2017 Congress, Vienna, Austria (with Professor Steve Toms).
- August 2017 ‘A collaborative accounting, finance and business MOOC’, American Accounting Association Conference on Teaching and Learning in Accounting 2017 roundtable session, San Diego, USA (with Shaun Robertson, Director, Qualifications, ICAEW).
- July 2017 ‘A collaborative accounting, finance and business MOOC’, ESLTIS Conference 2017, Sheffield.
- May 2016 ‘Stick or twist? Needs, habits, preferences and experimentation in Accounting and Finance students’ use of technologies for study’, BAFA Accounting Education SIG Conference, Belfast.
- March 2016 ‘The scale of the challenge: staff vs student perspectives of iPads in higher education’, iPads in Higher Education conference, San Francisco, USA (with Sarah Underwood).
- January 2016 ‘Not just men in grey suits’ An accounting, finance and business MOOC’, ICAEW Higher Education Conference, London.
- July 2015 ‘Straight road or long and winding? The university iPad journey’, Online Learning Consortium Blended Learning Conference, Denver, USA.
- May 2014 ‘Hype or help – Incoming students and technologies for study’ (with Jessica Johnson), BAFA Accounting Education SIG Conference, Bristol.
- September 2017, LUBS #Enhance17 ‘Flipped learning’ (workshop, with Dr Mike Reynolds, Tony Byng and Nicola Smith)
- June 2017, LUBS Teaching Retreat (led)
- April 2017 LUBS Academy of Innovation Building Best Practice Teaching Symposium ‘QR code handouts’, (parallel session)
- January 2017 University of Leeds Student Education Conference ‘Stick or twist? Needs, habits, preferences and experimentation in students’ uses of technologies for study’ (parallel session).
- January 2016 University of Leeds Student Education Conference ‘The scale of the challenge: staff vs student perspectives of iPads in higher education’ (with Sarah Underwood).
- January 2014 University of Leeds Student Education Conference ‘Hype or help – Incoming students and technologies for study’ (with Jessica Johnson).