Team composition: Enhancing individual contributions to maximise effectiveness
Team-based working has become essential for coordinating and aligning individuals' efforts with their organisation's strategies and goals. Teams generate camaraderie, support and extended social networks. Teams can also easily underperform if the effects on team dynamics, outcomes of its particular mix of individual capabilities, personalities and goals are not understood and steered in productive directions.
- What is it?
This customised workshop will give you the opportunity to explore your full potential as a team by identifying each member's potential contributions to your collective endeavour and how those fit together. You will use practical models and frameworks to diagnose the strengths and challenges of your team's composition in relation to your performance goals and operating context. With this knowledge you will then identify practical actions you can take as a team to enhance your team experience and success.
As this is a customised workshop, all team members will need to complete a set of online individual self-report assessments beforehand, the results of which will provide the basis for the team composition analysis. Each team will also be asked to obtain or capture some indicators of the team's performance to provide the context for discussions about team functioning and for evaluating workshop impact.
- Who should attend?
This workshop is for whole teams rather than individuals. Teams may be newly created or established, and operate in any sector or industry.
- What are the benefits?
At the end of the workshop delegate teams will have:
- Recognised the importance of team composition in team effectiveness
- Identified their team compositional profile and diagnosed its strengths and challenges in relation to its performance goals
- Developed greater awareness of individual team member's potential contributions
- Identified strategies and actions to maximise the team's ability to function productively.
Your organisation will benefit from:
- Teams with greater performance focus who are able to communicate productively about individual's contributions and team dynamics
- Teams with enhanced capability to self-manage and to identify their own strengths and development needs
- Provision of psychological assessment with feedback for each participant which may be used as input for individual development.
During the programme you will be tutored by Dr Militza Callinan. Militza is an experienced educator, psychologist and coach who has worked in various sales roles before embarking on an academic career. She teaches organisational behaviour and performance management modules on our MBA and MSc programmes and researches and writes in areas related to individual and team characteristics, behaviour and performance. Militza has co-written two books in this field "Work and organisational behaviour: Understanding the Workplace" (Palgrave Macmillan, 2007) and "Organisational effectiveness: The role of psychologists" (Wiley, 2002).
- Session 1
09.00 - 09.30 Registration and coffee
09.30 - 10.30 Modelling team effectiveness and team composition
10.30 - 10.45 Break
10.45 - 11.45 Team exercise: experiencing the impact of team composition
11.45 - 12.30 Debrief: Core principles of effective team working and "managing the mix"
12.30 - 13.30 Lunch
- Session 2
- 13.30 - 14.30 Generating a team composition profile: structured analysis of the "who, what, why and where" of the team
- 14.30 - 16.30 Guided interpretation of team composition profile: strengths and challenges. Identifying positive strategies and actions for realising the team's potential
- 16.30 - 17.00 Reflections on the day
- 17.00 Close
For further information please contact Vikki Moyles, Business Development Officer, Executive Education
Tel: +44 (0)113 344 3911